Inextricably linked to the Old Paradians' Association are its sporting affiliates – most notably the football club closing in on its 100th year, and the relatively newfangled cricket club – each claiming the Garvey Oval as their grand domain.
The Old Paradians’ Cricket Club first fielded teams in its maiden season of 1973/’74 and secured five 1st XI Premierships through a 35-year period.
The club briefly rebranded as Plenty Valley Cricket Club and later folded, only to be revived at the Garvey Oval on the eve of the 2011/’12 season, in an arrangement with St Francis of Assisi Cricket Club, with the intent of consolidating the Old Paradians brand.Visit Club Website
Founded in 1929, as the Old Paradians’ Association Amateur Football Club competed in C Division in its inaugural season, with Allan La Fontaine, later a three-time Melbourne Premiership player, prominent amongst the starting XVIII.
The former Parade College student Lou Arthur, then secretary of the Association, was the driving force of the football club, whose golden era of the 1960s realised the A-Section Premierships of 1962, ’63, ’64, ’66, ’67 and ’68.
More than 50 years on, the Old Paradians continue to field teams on the northern suburb’s sporting jewel, the Garvey Oval, in the shadows of the Lou Arthur Pavilion.Visit Club Website